Sunday, October 19, 2014

Good Times

Last weekend, Curtis childhood friend, Duane Greely was in town for a baseball event with his son.  We met up with Duane and his family, along with Curtis' other old friend, Andy, who lives in Gilbert.
Andy Ibach, Curtis Johnson, Duane Greely
 It was good to see everyone and reconnect.  Nice to see lasting friendships.



This week Curtis was invited by the Phoenix Suns for their "Taste of the Suns"  I was lucky enough to be his date.  We're on their list as someone who may be interested in Season Ticket's.  We're actually not interested, and even though Curtis tells them he's not going to buy season tickets anytime soon, they still keep inviting him to cool things like this. They have food prepared by the restaurant/catering company of the Arena.  I think it's called Levy's.  The food is always really good, always on the gourmet side.  We tasted their yummy food, and stuffed our bellies, said hi to the sales rep that has our number, saw a few retired Sun's players like Alvin Gentry, Said Hi to the Gorilla, then escaped before we were accosted by the hungry Sales' Reps to buy tickets again.  We still enjoy going.


Fall Break officially ended on Wednesday and the kids went back to school.  They all came home with relatively good Report Cards,  I was proud of them.

My Brother Steve and his family came down to see the new Phoenix Temple open house then stayed the night at our house on Friday and the cousins had a great time together.  I know they were told to go to bed several times.  At 11:30 I thought I shut them down for good.  We heard stirrings about 1:00 a.m..  Not sure what they were doing, but glad the cousins were all enjoying each other.

Trey started Flag Football, he went to his first practice on Wednesday then the first game was on Saturday.  Trey was excited to play when I signed him up a few months ago, I'm not so sure he was excited to hear football was actually starting until I told him his good buddy Soren was on his team.  He also knows another kid Joshua that used to be in our ward but moved out a few months ago.  Soren's Dad took the kids to practice the other night.  When he brought them home he told us that the coach was explaining that this is Flag football and not tackle.  Then he kind of hunched over putting his hands on his knees and said "Do any of you think you can tackle me?"  Before anyone expected anything Trey charged over there and tackled the coach, knocked him on the ground.   Scott (Soren's Dad) said it was pretty funny and unexpected.
The game was interesting watching 5yr olds play.  All new to the sport and not really sure what was going on.  The coach was extremely patient.   Every time after a play the teams went to "huddle" with their coach, every time Trey randomly ended up with the other team.  Or it wasn't Trey's turn to be on the field and he would someone end up there.  It was entertaining.  At one point after a play, the coach just picked Trey up and carried him to the correct huddle knowing he hadn't noticed the teams were wearing different colors and he always ended up with the other team. Trey did get the ball and he ran it in for the only touchdown for his team.  That was pretty exciting.  There was another time when Trey had the ball and he had to run across the entire field to the other side,  He got tackled pretty early and he was pretty frustrated and scolded his team "you were supposed to be protecting me"  It was pretty funny.

Later that night I went with Dax to see the play "The Odd Couple"  I loved that TV show when I was young, he took a class this summer and the instructor was cast as "Felix Unger"  and invited all his past students to come watch it.  It was all the way out in Apache Junction, I wasn't excited about that and I think because of it they were having a hard time with Ticket Sales.  Anyway Dax and I wanted to have a fun night together so we made the 30 minute drive out.  For a brand new, small local theater it was well done.  I thought his teacher nailed the part of Felix Unger.  He really had the mannerisms down. Unfortunately Dax's allergies started acting up about the time the play started.  He was miserable, and I think the people around us were annoyed.  We left right before the last act.  I was glad we went and had a fun time.

Then at 11:00 p.m. I had to take Curtis to the airport for a red eye flight to Dallas for a Real Estate Meeting.  It was a busy fun week.

No comments: