Saturday, August 22, 2015

Busy week

Sunday Dax was awarded his official Boy Scout Eagle award in Sacrament.  Normally this is done at a special Eagle Court of Honor.  We realized that we really didn't have any family that would come, and there were no other boys that were close to earning their Eagle Awards.  It seemed a bit extreme to have a big Court of Honor under those circumstances, although we felt Dax did deserve some type of public recognition.  Dax decided he just wanted to go to Kokomo's with the family and get ice cream, and then have the Bishop present the award to Dax is Sacrament meeting like how they do the Young Women awards.  The Bishop was on board with the idea so we moved forward.



Dax got the official Eagle medal and patch, then there were also awards for each parent (Eagle Mom, and Eagle Dad) then he also earned the Mormon Battalion award for going on the hike a few years back,  although they don't award it until you earn your Eagle. The Mormon Battalion award is kind of cool looking, it is a neckerchief slide that looks like a cow skull.  Dax was kind of impressed with it.

Before church we went over all the do's and don't for Dax as he was getting his award, we thought we covered it all.  The Bishop called him up and he let Dax talk for a bit about his Eagle Scout project of the canned food drive.  Then he presented him with the awards.  Very nice.  A few minutes later  it was time for the Sacrament.  I looked up at Dax who was passing the sacrament and out of the corner of my eye, something looked strange about his tie.  He had put the cow skull neckerchief slide over his tie and he was wearing it as he passed the sacrament.  It didn't quite go for several reasons.

#1- Dax was in formal Sunday Clothes and the cow skull was more cowboy casual/scout uniform look

#2- The tie didn't need a neckerchief slide at the top as it was already tied around his neck.

#3- It just seemed odd during the Sacrament.

I told Curtis of all the do's and don't s we went over with Dax, we did not go over that one.  We just laughed.  As soon as he came and sat down we told him to take it off.  He had it on pretty good.

We are proud of Dax, and we are all happy to have that achievement behind us.

Curtis had a busy/ stressful week at work.  He is trying to restructure his business, with that comes a cleanse.  He is hiring and firing a lot of people.  He had a lot on his mind.  Twice this week he got up in the middle of the night (2:30 a.m.) and went in to work.  He has too much racing through his mind that he couldn't sleep so he decided he should just go into work.  I worry about him when he does that but I also know how much work can be accomplished when there are ZERO interruptions.

On Friday Dax had a school pool party at Hamilton Pool.  We went last year and had a great time.  Trey also had the Decades Dance at Hancock that he wanted to go to but we convinced him to go to the pool with us.  We were talking Doughnuts as our pot luck item and that convinced him to join us.  Derek went on a scout camp out up to Long Valley.  Curtis stayed home to sleep.  Dax, Trey and I went to Hamilton Pool and had a good time.  Trey met up with a kid from our ward, Nick Johnson, and they hung out and had a great time jumping off the diving board and going down the slide.  Nick's older brother Cole also goes to ACP.  Trey told me he was happy he went to Hamilton because he had a lot of fun even though it wasn't the Decades Dance.  I had a good time talking to Cole's parents while the kids swam.
While Trey and I were at the pool party we were nibbling on the tiny morsels of food left for dinner.  It was slim pickings by the time Trey and I made it to the food. Dax went ahead and got a decent amount.  Anyway Trey and I were eating together and he was telling me about how a woman from the Fire Department was at his school that day and taught him about fire safety.  Trey was telling me what he learned then he was asking me about how our windows opened etc.  When he first started telling me this stuff he was talking about hitting something with his hand and how to do it correctly, I thought as usual he was talking about a video game and I don't think I was very patient as I listened to him.  Then when he told me it was fire safety, I was happy to hear him talk about something else, but I was trying to rush him along and eat his food because I know Dax was ready to leave.

As we were leaving the pool and older woman (late 50's) told me how cute Trey was and she enjoyed listening to him talk.  I asked her when did she hear him, what was he talking about?  She said she was listening in as he was talking about the fire safety, she just enjoyed listening to him because he was so cute.
  It made me realize I need to appreciate every moment and he isn't always going to be this cute six year old telling me about the fire safety he learned at school that day.  That woman probably has grown kids and was missing her little kids when they were young.  When at the same time I was listening to Trey, but was not fully engaged and enjoying the moment as I should have. That was a good reminder.

On Saturday, Curtis, Dax, Trey and I (Derek was still at the camp out) went out to hit some tennis balls.  Curtis had just bought a tennis ball machine that serves balls automatically.  He has always wanted one, so I got him this (with his guidance) for our 20th anniversary gift.  By the time we made it to the court it was High Noon, and pretty hot.  We really had a good time hit the balls it shot out to us.  We all look forward to doing it again (hopefully a bit cooler temps).  Curtis needs a way to take out some of his frustrations, without hurting his back anymore. Hopefully this tennis machine is the answer.

No comments: