Sunday, March 25, 2018

Spring Break




Spring Break Started out with Trey going to Cub Scout Day camp.  He didn't love it... I was a little surprised because the boys usually love it.  It improved greatly since they started having it during Spring Break rather than the HOT HOT summer.  I think the problem is his nemesis, Rocky.  As usual Rocky harassed him, I told the leaders to keep them away from each other turns out they rode in the same car, someone made them buddies.  I finally showed up to volunteer the afternoon of the second day.  I absolutely kept them apart and Trey started to have fun, by then he already decided he didn't want to go the last day, so he didn't go.  I don't really blame him.

Dax and Derek were supposed to go to Youth Conference in Tucson.  Derek got sick again.  So he stayed home.  Dax went and performed baptisms in the Tucson temple, and they learned about family history.  I heard really nice reports on Dax from President Johanson, and Hillary Jiminez.  I think he had an enjoyable trip.

Ashley Hernandez, Bella Lines, Analeana Knauer, Jenna Bailey, Garrett & Lauren Kubricky, Dax Johnson

Dax came home Saturday 3/17 in the afternoon, I left for Flagstaff that morning.  Before we left we had a little St. Patty's fun.
I bought the Lucky Charms, Curtis colored the milk green.  Even picky Trey enjoyed the green milk.

I headed up to Flagstaff to help my dad, he is getting really bad with Dementia.  His cars were in the shop and it was blowing his mind. We are going to have to do something drastic soon.

I woke up Sunday morning to this
Spring in Flagstaff.  Meanwhile....

back in Chandler 2.5 hours way.  Beautiful Spring weather.  Trey and Oreo at the neighborhood Lake


I didn't come home to Chandler until Sunday afternoon.  That day he was ordained a High Priest.  A few weeks ago someone contacted him and said the Stake President wanted to meet with Curtis and me.  I kind of thought he may be asked to serve as a High Counselor.  He had already been working in the Stake Sunday school. I couldn't think of another reason why the Stake President would need to meet with both of us.  My hunch was correct.  Curtis was very surprised and humbled.  He is excited for the calling.

I missed the ordination, but grateful his cousin, Josh could perform the ordinance for him.    Here is a post from Curtis' FB page.





Josh Manwaring, Curtis Johnson

Grateful for not just the strong leaders in my life, but also the true disciples of Christ who inspire me.

Always looked up to my older (and better looking) cousin Josh ... he was one of those who inspired me to serve a 2 year mission that really changed my life.

Honored today to have him help ordain me to a position at church, where I'm sure I'll be stretched to learn and grow more personally, and spiritually.

Great to see you today cuz. Family is forever.


While I was in Flagstaff, the plan was for me to bring back Zane and Seth Lund (my brother Steve's kids) to spend their spring break with us.  I just thought it would be fun to do something different, have fun with cousins and just have new experiences.

I think all five boys had fun together. 
Hiked up to Hole in the rock near ASU (a very easy hike)

Trey at the hole

Seth, Trey, Derek and Zane spending some time in the hot tub/pool

Service work at Feed my Starving Children.  Love the cool hairnets

Derek and Seth on the hike again.






Our friends, Eric Engle and Shadow Asgari, invited us over for Persian New Year.  Shadow's family is from Iran, and the New Year celebration actually starts with the Spring Equinox. It is one of their main holidays I have heard Shadow talk about this for years.  This year she decided to share the event with friends.  It was a really fun cultural experience.  Shadow did a great job teaching us her customs and feeding us really good food.  Shadow is really good and feeding people really good food in large quantities.
The celebration lasts for 9 days, we jumped over a fire and wished ourselves good wishes in Farsi (their language)

Shadow's table with all her customs including a bowl


Yummy Persian food.  It reminded me a lot of Mediterranean food.  Shadow says they stole it from Persia.

Yogurt Soda, Scott Andersen's face says it all.  Yogurt mixed with soda. Shadow won't even drink it, although Eric does. Eric said he started to drink it to impress his Father in Law.


Overall we had a great spring break.  It started a little rough with Trey at day camp, but it got better from there.

No comments: