Wednesday, August 5, 2020

First day of School 2020

 School started two weeks later than usual because of COVID.  In order to make up the time a week will be taken off Fall break and a week off Spring Break. School is still online for at least the first quarter.

Trey has decided to return to Jacobson and go back to the Gifted program.  When he met his teacher she said there are only 7 kids in his class for now.  The rest have opted to do true "online school" rather than distance learning which is what my kids are doing.  Distance learning is like a video chat/Zoom call.  Everyone logs into Google Classroom at the designated start time and the teacher can see all the kids and they see her, she teaches as if she were face to face with everyone.  Online school is login, read material, do assignments at your own pace.

Trey and I went to meet the teacher.  It was different than usual.  We had to schedule the 15 minutes time slot, we had to wear masks and only one parent was allowed to come.  Trey was a little uneasy about the returning to school situation. Knowing there were only 7 kids in his class and plenty of room to "social distance" made him feel better about face to face to school when the time is right.

I snapped this picture of Trey hanging out as we were waiting for our turn to enter his classroom.  I figured this was my shot at this years "first day of school photo"  After I snapped it Trey said, "that was awesome I didn't even have to smile for that picture."  COVID has been much easier on the introverts.

And this is our school for now.  Derek and Trey login and talk to their teachers/classmates through headphones and video chat.



No comments: