After a long painful process of miscommunication and inexperience, Derek started working at McDonald's. I really wanted Derek to get a summer job, at first COVID was a bit of a set back, but there are so many reasons why I think a kid needs to get a job.
Back in June, I stopped at the McDonald's drive-through with the kids and we noticed a "Now Hiring" sign. I asked the drive-through girl if it was better to apply in person online or in person. She said in person was probably better because things get lost when you apply online. Which confirmed my suspicions of Derek sending in several applications online and never getting any calls for interviews. He applied back in June, they called him for an interview the next day. I would think Derek would be a good candidate for this job because he has a little experience working in the school cafeteria during lunch, and he has his food handlers license.
After the interview I asked Derek how it went he gave me his typical "I don't know, but they gave me these forms to fill out and she said there is one more for my bank info" I said, "then they hired you if they are asking for employment forms and direct deposit info." Derek turned the forms in, then he heard nothing. He would stop by and check-in and they would say I we want to get you on the schedule for Saturday, then he would hear nothing. After a few weeks, he would stop in (they don't always answer the phone) and they would say "oh we lost your phone number" these shenanigans went on for way too long, losing his number several times, Derek being inexperienced and uncertain of how to handle these situations. Finally on August 29th, 2020 he officially started. He has only been working a two-hour shift one day a week. We're hoping it picks up. It is hardly worth the effort at this point. I keep telling him he almost needs a second job. He made more working a half hour each day during school lunch than this gig.

No comments:
Post a Comment