Sunday, February 1, 2015

Trey J & Trajen


Treyson Johnson & Trajen Curtis Fall 2014
Trey has a friend named Trajen Curtis who was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma (Bone Cancer) in April 2014.  It has been a long hard battle, with Chemo treatments and an extremely difficult surgery/recovery on his left arm and leg.  We visited Trajen a few times in the hospital, and played with him a few times during the process, but for the most part Trajen didn't feel like doing much.  There were several times Trey wanted to play, but Trajen just couldn't.  Trajen's family had already been through an extremely difficult past five years, and his Dad was just finishing Medical school, when this Bomb was dropped.  I had been pretty good friends with his Mom, Danielle, as she worked with me in Cub Scouts together.


Trajen's family of seven are living in a small apartment.  I was talking to his mom Danielle Curtis, at a party at Thanksgiving time, and she mentioned that  as his treatments were coming to an end, and it looked like light was at the end of the tunnel,  she brought up the idea of having a party for Trajen when this was all over. Their tiny apartment was no way feasible for such an event.  I know we have a big back yard, that could host such a gala.  I talked to Curtis (Johnson)  and we agreed to host the party in our back yard.  The Curtis family (confusing with all these Tray and Curtis names) was thrilled and so gracious that we would let them have the party at our house.  They planned everything we were just the venue.

Just before Christmas Trajen finished his last Chemo Treatments.  After the treatments were done, they did some routine scans for cancer to make sure he didn't need to continue with anymore treatments.  The scans came back clear.  Hallelujah! The party is ON.

The party was planned for January 10th, they were going to have a magician, and cake and all types of great stuff, amazing decorations etc.  When the party was in the works, I had thought maybe 100 people would show up.  The Curtis Family has a lot of family in the area, and our Ward, as well as Hancock Elementary (across the street) has been very supportive.  I knew it would be a good showing.  I talked to Danielle about a week before and she said she was planning on 100ish people.  Great-me too.

The day before the party I got a text from Danielle saying to warn our neighbors she had 277 RSVPs.  Holy Cow!!! That is a lot of love for a six year old party.  I warned/invited my neighbors, they really didn't care especially since we were having people park across the street at the school. A few of them came.

On the morning of the party, Curtis (Johnson) woke up and we had a little conversation about the upcoming party.  It went like this:
CJ: so I guess were having a party today, what do I need to do?
MJ:   not much, just a little clean up in the back yard, other people are coming to set up and do most of it
CJ: about how many people are coming... 30?
MJ: umm no.  I got a text from Danielle yesterday saying almost 300 RSVP's, but you don't have to hang around you can do work in your office if you need to.
CJ: WHAT almost 300 people???? I'm not going to work, I need to see this Circus going on in our backyard.

Dax, Derek, and Trey wearing Trajen Army T-shirts




It was a great party, despite the rain that came in at the beginning.  The magician was really good, it was a fun time for everyone. The Curtis Family was extremely grateful. We're very happy for Trajen.


I have to say an awful as this cancer has been for Trajen and his family, there are so many organizations that treat these kids like Royalty,and well deserved.

A few weeks after the party Trajen invited Trey to  "Gotham City" to see Wayne Industries, the Bat cave the entire deal.. We really didn't know what to expect going into it.  It was a pretty cool set up.  This is an organization that has created a Bat cave and it sounds like they keep it exclusive to kids with very serious illness'.  Trajen dressed up as Batman, and Trey was Robin.  They had so much fun being Batman and Robin together.  Trajen invited several friends that night, but because Robin (Trey), was his sidekick.  He picked Trey to do everything with him.  Sit in the Bat mobile, go down the Bat pole,  open the secret bookcase from the study that leads to the Bat cave. It sounded like a really fun night.



Trey Getting Ready to go to Gotham City.  He was so excited to go

Cutest little "Robin" I've ever seen.

In the study, you push the hidden button to open the secret bookcase passage way to the Bat cave
At the top of the pole is where Bruce Wayne is himself, then he goes down the pole and changes into Batman

Batman & Robin in the Bat mobile

Exploring the Bat Cave

Trajen Curtis and his family: Danielle, Richard, Brock, Trajen, Courtyney, Chloe, Kamryn

Checking out the Bat Radarscope, and all the equipment to catch the Joker

At the end of the night they gave all  the kids a shirt that says "Yes I've been to the Bat Cave, No I can't tell you where it is. Trey loves to wear this shirt now.

Batman & Robin had a fabulous time together.  We didn't even plan the Batman Robin thing

No comments: