Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Auction Block






We had a fun night last Thursday.

We started the night off by going up to an open house of Tom Hopkins in Paradise Valley.  His house is for sale, and Curtis was invited to this event.  I guess they wanted to to a special preview open house to other agents and give their opinions on how the home shows.

Tom is a bit famous for being a speaker and writing sales books.  When we were first married we went to an all day motivational Event and he was one of the Speakers, funny how Curtis ended up in Real Estate and then we ended up going through his house and meeting him. He and his wife greeted us as we walked in, they were very warm and friendly.  He gave Curtis a copy of one of his recent books.

His house was a bit garish and reminded me of a modern "Graceland"  Very Ornate, and there were pictures of Tom Hopkins and his accomplishments all over the house.  He even had a red piano that used to belong to Elton John and he had someone there playing it.  I thought it was a nice touch (piano player).


Curtis &;Tom Hopkins
 Image result for elton john's red piano

 We went through every nook and cranny of the house and there was money toilet seat. It was interesting to see.  The neighborhood was in Paradise Valley and a bit Hodge Podge.  Tom Hopkins had a very nice newer home, next to an ordinary older home and the area was very desert-y. His Back yard was beautiful, the house was interesting.



Money John

After Tom Hopkins we went to a Charity Auction, and Curtis was auctioned off  at this Real Estate Event.  He wasn't excited about doing this (merely just because he had to mingle with other Real Estate Agents).  The charity was CARE it helps to kids who very sick.

Curtis was nervous about getting bid on, and didn't trust that the guest list of bidders were willing to bid on any of the "products".  We were told that Curtis would be bid on at the end of the first round.  Turns out he went on stage and he was the first one up for bid. The Realtors up for bid, were sold as mentors/coaches for someone else in the business.  I told Curtis I would bid on him for sure, just so he didn't need to get a complex of nobody wanting/bidding on him.  The bidding started at $300,  I started to get my Auction Paddle out, and boom other people were already bidding on him.  I knew he was a hot ticket.  He went for $1100 and was happy the night went well.  One of the other guys getting auctioned off was a HOT HEAD.  We were talking to him before the event and I was annoyed with him, I was done listening to his Hot air so I walked away.  When he got up to the Auction Block he started spewing off about how great he was and he even through in the guy running the auction as a two for one.  Who ever won him would also get Mr. Auctioneer as a mentor.  I'm not sure the Auctioneer was aware of this before hand, but he went along with it.  Anyway Mr. Hot Air went on and on about how great he was and because of that the bids should start at $2500.  So Mr. Auctioneer started out at $2500.....Crickets... no takers..... he lowered it a bit, and still no takers.  So then he really lowered it and started out the $300 price like everyone else.  I think for the Two for one deal he ended up about $800.  Far from his $2500 starting bid.

As a Thank You gift for participating they gave us a bottle of some Expensive Champagne, and champagne glasses from Tiffany's.  I think everyone was excited about the gift except us. Although very nice, just not something we would use/want.



 We had a fun night together.

No comments: