We had a busy day. I started tennis lessons with my friend Karyn, then run kids around and take Trey to his tennis lessons. I noticed as I was going to my tennis class, my gas was low. "I thought I will refill on my way back from tennis class.".....well I forgot. I went to pick Dax up from school and I was about a block from his school on the way home and the engine died while we were at a stop light. Oh no, fear and panic, right in the middle of traffic on Alma School and Chandler Blvd. I realized I had probably run out of gas. Something I thought I would never do because I always try to refill before I get to that point. I was kind of hoping it was something else, just so I couldn't be at blame. Dax reminded me that the radio still went on and other things seemed to work, so it probably was the gas as he was annoyed as hit my hazard lights and we waved cars around us.
I realized the only way out of this situation was to push. So I told tax we were going to push from the from of the car, just standing out side out with out front doors open. I didn't want him in the back where I couldn't see him. Fortunately very nice people came to out help. One car was passing and they said they were going to park then come help. They did come to help and they were wearing the same uniform as Dax. What could be worse than being in High School and your mom runs out of gas right by the school and everyone sees you and they have to come help. They were very nice kids.
In a side note: Dax was recently diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome, meaning he doesn't pick up on Social ques, fortunately because of this I don't think he realized how humiliating this situation would be running out of gas right next to your High School, with class mates coming to your Mom's rescue.
The nice people pushed us around the corner and we pulled into the bank parking lot. We thanked them graciously then Dax and I crossed Chandler Blvd to where there was a gas station directly across the street. We bought a gas can, and a bag of Shark candy ( I felt I had to satisfy Dax for putting up with this unpleasant situation) filled the can with one gallon of gas. For $21.76 that was the most expensive gallon of gas I ever purchased. We crossed back over Chandler Blvd, then filled the car up. It was a little awkward filling the car from a gas can. There were all these safety nozzles and closures so you didn't light your self on fire. In the process of figuring out this gas can (who knew they were so complicated) I still spilled a bit of gas on the ground and I was starting to smell like a mechanic in my brand new white T-shirt. Now for the Moment of Truth. The car starts we drive home and totally refilled at the gas station right near our house. Dax was pretty frustrated with me over this situation. I told him it could have been worse. If we were going to run out of gas I'm glad it was within 100 ft of a gas station, and nice people came to help push us out of traffic.
Later that evening we turned all the screens off and we read scriptures for a bit. Then we talked and laughed about the days adventures. It was fun talking and laughing together without some type of electronic devise intruding. We talked about how Curtis had run out of gas once as well. This prompted Trey to track this (a boy after my own heart, something I totally would have done as a kid) Trey created the "out of gas chart" so far the score is tied. Dad 1, Mom 1. I hope this tally does not get any higher.
Back to reading scriptures. We try to read just a little each night. Don't want to overwhelm the kids. Trey had a small nick on his leg. As we in the middle of reading our two pages Trey insisted he needed a band-aid for this small nick on his leg. We just wanted to get through these two pages and actually finish something without being interrupted. Curtis told Trey he didn't need a band aid and to just finish reading. Trey really DID NOT need a band aid or anything for this miniscule wound. Trey started crying and getting upset and he wails "do you want me to die"? No we don't want you to die, but we do want to finish reading. We finished, he got a band-aid nobody died. THE END.
No comments:
Post a Comment