Sunday, May 8, 2022

Carbonite Pancakes and horse races

 In the last few years, May 4th has become Star Wars Day- "May the fourth be with you".

Derek has always been a Star Wars fan, and Dax appreciates it as well.  I have these silicon Star Wars molds that I use for various projects for the kids.  This year I did a simple Star Wars breakfast.  I just poured some pancake batter into them and baked them in the oven. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.


.


 Cinco de Mayo  (May 5th) is supposedly a Mexican Independence holiday, but from what I have learned America actually celebrates it more than Mexico and it only involves a certain area of Mexico, and it still isn't that big of a deal to the people in that area.  So America made it more of a holiday and we usually have Mexican food along with the rest of Arizona (I'm not sure if it is a big deal in other states).  Derek is taking a culinary class and he needed to make a well-balanced meal that was international food.  He chose fried rice, which is a favorite in this house.  So we had Fried Rice on Cinco de Mayo.  I don't think Derek cared what day it was he just needed to complete the assignment. Jocelyn came over and helped a bit.




The Kentucky Derby is always a fun event.  A few years ago I started having a party for a few kids, then I guess it has evolved and become a tradition.  When I didn't do it last year (COVID was an excuse) several people asked me about it. It wasn't even on my mind  this year but Curtis asked me about it.  It is a big undertaking to throw a nice party, I didn't know if I was up to the task.  I enlisted the greatest co-host, Megan Shumway. I knew this gal from church, but we really were not that good of friends, we are now.  She was excited to help and she was amazing she took this party to a new level.


Derek and Jocelyn

Tammy and Spencer Wilson


Gail and Kent Mortensen


Party Favor Derby Dung 



Liz Carroll, Tammy Wilson, Tiffany Andersen, Rhonda Michie, Marilyn Johnson















Sunday was Mother's Day.  My kids were great to me.  Before we went on the cruise, I told them if they would just dress up nice, and smile for family pictures that would be my Mother's Day gift and I would be very happy with it, and I was.They still gave me nice cards, and they went to Dairy Queen and bought me two boxes of cherry Dilly Bars, my favorite.  


My boys dress up and Trey almost smiling


No comments: